We have received instructions on how Holy week is to be celebrated without a congregation.
The priests and sisters have met to see how these guidelines would apply to our parish.
All services for Holy Week from the cathedral will be live streamed, look for schedule and links on www.olos.ca.
Look for schedule and links to live stream of services at Sorrows at www.olos.ca.
- Palm Sunday, April 5
- Chrism Mass, April 9
- Holy Thursday, April 9
- Good Friday, April 10
- Easter Vigil, April 11
- Easter Sunday. April 12
Palm Sunday, April 5
- Saturday, April 4 the anticipated mass will be celebrated in English without a congregation and live streamed at 5:00 pm
- Sunday, April 5 live stream from the cathedral will be at 11:00 am
- Sunday, April 5 mass in English will be live streamed at 11:30 am and in Spanish at 1:00 pm
- Palms will be blessed at the sanctuary and the reading of the gospel regarding the Lord’s triumphant entry into Jerusalem will also be at the sanctuary
- Palms will not be distributed but at a cross that will be placed in front of the church vases will be available with palms which persons can take at their discretion and using the indicated precautionary measures
Chrism Mass, April 9
- Will be celebrated by the archbishop with deacon on Thursday, April 9 at the cathedral at 10:30 am
- Please remember the priests who will remotely renew their priestly commitment
- Oils will be blessed but distributed at a later date.
Holy Thursday, April 9
- Live stream from the cathedral at 7:30 pm
- Live stream from Sorrows in English at 7:00 pm and in Spanish at 8:30 pm
- The washing of the feet and the procession with the Blessed Sacrament are omitted
Good Friday, April 10
- Live stream from the cathedral at 3:00 pm
- Live stream from Sorrows in English at 3:00 pm and in Spanish at 7:00 pm
- A cross will be placed outside the church which people can reverence by bowing or with a genuflection but not touching nor kissing
- Families can set a cross in a prominent place in the home on this day
Easter Vigil, April 11
- Live stream from the cathedral at 9:00 pm
- Live stream from Sorrows at 7:00 pm in Spanish and 9:00 pm in English
- We pray for those preparing for the sacraments of initiation and those to be received in the Church and they will receive the sacraments and be received at a future date when it is safe to do so
- Other details of the Vigil Service will be modified and of course, as all Holy week services, will be without a congregation
- A candle can be lit at home to represent the Risen Christ, Light of the World
Easter Sunday. April 12
- Live stream from the cathedral at 11:00 am
- Live stream from Sorrows at 11:30 am in English and 1:00 pm in Spanish
In the situation we find ourselves, it is most appropriate to seek forgiveness from God through prayer. Once the situation changes then go to confession to a priest.
If one needs to go to confession during this time then the following is to be observed:
- One can go to confession by appointment if willing to adhere to appropriate procedures
- Confessions will take place in the rectory conference room where there is privacy and the appropriate distance can be kept between the priest and penitent
- Please go to the parish office ring the bell and through the glass door indicate that you would like to confess
- The priest will invite you to go to the back of the rectory and enter through the outer door of the rectory conference room
- On Saturday, April 4 a priest will be available for confessions from 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm
- On Holy Thursday a priest will be available from 4:30 to 6:30
- On Good Friday a priest will be available from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- On Holy Saturday a priest will be available from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
- The same procedure will be followed at all times
All services will be closed to the public.
Please inform family and friends of the many possibilities to participate through live stream.
While watching on live stream gather family together and maintain an atmosphere of prayer and reverence as if you were actually in church.
All Holy Week Services will be live streamed from the Vatican in Italian. Most of our Italian-speaking parishioners are subscribed to Rai Television and can watch at home. Please let them know of this possibility.
The church will be open for private prayer:
- Holy Thursday from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm
- Good Friday from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Holy Saturday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
It is sad that we cannot celebrate Holy Week as we usually do but we can join together virtually through the many platforms that are available to us.
I am most grateful to all those who will make this happen.